Saturday, February 19, 2011

R.I.P Toyota Camry


My beloved 22 year old Toyota Camry, which I purchased at the naive age of 18 and survived with me nearly seven years, has passed, ya'll. Unless you can rebuild a transmission for cheap or free.

It happened last wednesday, after an epic and practically instantaneous snowstorm. I started my car, put it in neutral to warm up and slid it out from under the nearly six inches of snow piled on top. Hopped in, and threw it into reverse.....

And then it stuck. Jammed into reverse. Frustrated and panicking, I ended up backing around and leaving him behind hoping for some kind of cold-related injury.

No such luck. Two different shops have confirmed that on a car this old, it's probably not worth the $2 K or so (more than I paid for it, after high school) to crack it open and fix it. One shop mentioned the total unavailability of parts for a car this old.

Anyway, as there's no morgue for beloved and deceased hunks of metal that only run in reverse, I'm a little at a loss as to how to dispose of my little guy. And dude, I'm not ready to let him go. I keep seeing same era camries buzzing around and I want him back. So I'm mourning and looking for a replacement all at the same time. What to do, peeps?

No comments:

Post a Comment