Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Return of the Serger

The serger came home yesterday and I excitedly pulled out my new Built By Wendy book, unfolded the pattern I wanted and got my tracing paper and wheel... then faltered. What I wanted was instant gratification, not a challenge, so I went the "craft-blogger" route.

Which is to say, I traced around something I already own that fits correctly, cut it out of a $3 dollar thrift store sheet, sewed up the sides, then began embellishing haphazardly. A few hours later and ta-da! quirky shift dress.

I still need to finish the sleeves (arm holes?) and I think it needs pleated patch pockets and a row of buttons on the yoke, maybe a peter pan collar. Too twee? Who cares. I may have to come to terms with the fact that I'm neither an understated nor classy dresser, but an unabashedly retro one with a whimsical bent.

1 comment:

  1. cute dress and i totally understand the need for instant gratification!

    ReplyDelete