Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Crazy/Fab Winter Coat


I've been searching around for a nice but funky winter coat to get me through this season. (it already snowed, which is vast improvement over last year) My problem is that all the coats I'm running into are geared for old ladies or tweens and are made out of polyester or polar fleece, or styrofoam and air. It's apparently impossible to find a hip, age-appropriate, well-made winter coat in any kind of price range. (I'm not counting anthro, because everything I want from there is in the $250 dollar range, and I get sick of my winter coat every year because I look at it for six months straight. Not worth it.)

So. I was at the thrift store and bumped into about four yards of this fun red and blue and white wool plaid for $4. The pattern I had, (I want to do the tan one in the middle, with the hood, though I'm considering adding in the peter pan collar), three pieces and pocket in all. No princess seams. No setting in sleeves. Mama thinks she's gonna make herself a winter coat! Now I'm just on the prowl for cute closures (frogs? buttons? toggles?) and a nice lining fabric (navy blue?). This year I feel just sassy enough to pull off a 1960's-y wool drapy plaid cape coat, and maybe matching blue long gloves with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment