Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Dress Design for Shabby Apple Dresses


Last year, Shabby Apple did a dress design contest, which I briefly considered entering, then didn't. They always come out with the cutest retro-but-updated-modern dresses, check them out at shabbyapple. This year I decided to overcome my fears, so say hello to my dress design for the Shabby Apple Dresses contest. Hello!



But onto the dress:
All dresses should have pockets, in my opinion, so that's where I started. The skirt front is inspired by 70's high waisted sailor pants, so we have the four button sailor front motif, with deep hip pockets and contrasting buttons and piping. This seagoing motif is mirrored in the sassy sailor-esque bib front on the square neckline with matching piping and buttons.

The sleeve could be short or 3/4 sleeve, with either a banded elbow or a flipped cuff with button detail. Possibly puffed? Waist is outlined in more piping for definition.

I see this done in a blue chambray or a light weight denim, with red or white buttons & piping for a literal sailor translation. My favorite and, I think most fun, would be a bright yellow stripe or a seersucker, with navy piping. Or pink stripes with red piping. Or light blue gingham with white piping. I see this as a preppy pretty staple for spring.

And...fingers crossed! Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment