Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Debate: Real or Fake Head



I'm debating investing in a mannequin head to photograph my work for the etsy shop. The pros outweigh the con, which is this: I think mannequins are usually creepy, and they're clearly fake. So the pro and con list looks like this-

Pros:
*consistency
*it's retardedly hard to self photograph your own head with your point and shoot digital camera
*possible hygiene concerns of buyers (note: a long running debate in the etsy crowd about earrings, clothing, and hair items. My side votes that at least on etsy, there's one seller touching your item, where in a store it could be anyone. That said, I know that in my shop and many others, the item in the photo is usually replicated on an order by order basis. But I digress.)

Cons: *they're creepy and fake

But the creepy fakeness gets to me. Plus there's some really amazing photos of wedding hair accessories on models, which far outstrip the so-so but consistent ones on mannequins. However, I have neither the time, talent or on hand photographer to replicate this, so a mannequin would make my life so much easier.

Weigh in and tell me what ya'll think.
Photos from the least creepy heads I've found on ebay.

3 comments:

  1. Indeed very creepy. I'm torn. I think I prefer real heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. USE ME!! I'm so pretty and have such shiny hair.

    Just kidding.

    But if you needed me, I'd help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like real models, but I can see where the mannequin would be a lot easier (although it looks like you also need at least one wig for the mannequin head).

    ReplyDelete