Thursday, November 26, 2009

Quonset Huts


My husband has been obsessed with having a quonset hut house lately. Typically used for military, utilitarian things like garages and airplane hangers, it turns out there's tons of eco-friendly (and budget friendly!) reasons to be interested. This site that sells them mentions that it's five scrapped cars worth of recycled steel vs. fifty trees being cut down for construction, that they're resistant to mold (cleaner air) and bugs and fires and earthquakes, there's minimal upkeep, it's easy to build and later expand since the framing is prefab....Anway. He's sold me on the hippie aspect, but I'm a little leery of the bunker-esque vibe that they give out.

This house is the 2009 best before and after for Southern Living, and it's a quonset that's had a makeover, so it can be done without the agriculteral vibe. Sold!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, just found you today:)
    I have to say I LOVE the idea of a quonset hut!

    ReplyDelete